Friday, March 7, 2008

Terrible TWOS!


Wow!  I forgot how hard it is to have a two year old.  This is a picture of him in time-out, or "the corner," as we call it, tonight.  It was cute because he actually stayed for 20 seconds with his nose in the corner!


  Aidan, who will be two the end of March, has full-blown terrible two's.  I have struggled this week with him trying to maintain control and manage my child in an appropriate way.  Everywhere I've taken him this week, it has been a nightmare!  My four-year-old, Owen, doesn't help much either.  This week I went to Sam's club to see if they could transfer my Rx.  Well, I wasn't expecting them to take forever!  The poor lady behind me.  I was trying to talk to them, while trying to keep Aidan from climbing out of the cart and Owen from destroying the blood pressure machine-he just kept pushing all of the buttons and "learning" how it worked.  I finally decided to let Aidan out to run on the bench, but that only lasted 30 seconds before he was trying to see how far he could get before I said something or chased after him.  We were there for at least 10 minutes which seemed like a half an hour and all the lady behind me had to do was give them her Rx.  I felt so bad, I just wanted to get out of there!
Then the next day we went to the library to let Owen go to a story-reading activity.  Aidan knows right where the Thomas the train movies are and went to look for them.  So we found one (thankfully only one) and then I went to find some books.  Last time we went, he sat very good at the table, just looking at his videos.  Not this time!  He was running everywhere, pulling out videos and looking at them and then coming back and saying in a loud voice, "Mommy, what doin?"  It's cute, but I was a little embarrassed because we were in the library.  I was trying to stay calm and make sure he wasn't destroying anything.  While I was trying to find some books for Owen, Aidan was taking a Thomas book away from the little boy across the table and adding to the Thomas books he had found.  He screamed when I gave one of the books back to the little boy to read and we went to find another one.  He also wouldn't stay away from the computers--banging on the keys and looking at me to see how long before I'd notice.   When I was trying to get our stuff checked out, Aidan walks right up to the automatic doors, they open and he takes off down the hall.  While Owen stands there giving me a report of what Aidan is doing, I'm trying to get my library card out as fast as I can and telling Owen to run after Aidan and not let him out the second set of doors which lead to Logan main street. Luckily, I caught him just before he headed out of the other doors.  Scary to think what could have happened!  Then he cries and becomes limp (that's his signature move) while I'm trying to hold his hand and get ahold of all our library items to take out to the car.  Whew!   These days I wonder why I go out of the house, but if I didn't we'd all go crazy!  I'm praying for the snow to melt, so they can go out back and expend some energy!!

Bedtime is also a joke.  I try to get him to take a nap early enough that he will be ready for a bed earlier.  But as soon as we shut the door, he's up and climbing over the edge.  I am bound and determined for him to learn to stay in his crib and go to sleep.  But after putting him back in his bad at least 20 times, it's hard not to give up and just hold him or lay next to him until he falls asleep.  This week we have put some soft music in their room at bedtime and he has stayed in the bedroom a little better.  At least he hasn't turned on the lights and started playing under the bed like he used to.  Now, he usually climbs in bed with Owen, but Owen starts getting bugged, because he won't lay there and go to sleep, then we have to get tough.

There must be a reason (for us) for having to go through this and I wish I knew what it was so I could just embrace it and deal with it.  I also wish I would have saved my child development books, so I could know what to do to tackle these terrible twos and why they are so terrible.  I don't remember.

I am trying to savor the cute little moments so I can rack up many of those in hopes to cancel out the bad ones.  I sure hope my kids turn out normal.  It will be a miracle!

PS:  After I wrote this post, I googled, "terrible two's" and found this website that helped give me some direction.  I hope it can help you!

2 comments:

Melia said...

I am so with you right now. Nikolas has become a nightmare, too. I am usually up super late getting things done at night once he is finally asleep that I couldn't get done during the day. It does pass, but not soon enough as you know.

Missing you and your family down in sunny St. George.

Anonymous said...

What is up with the going limp thing, anyway! Harli does that all the time, too. It's usually when we're in somebody's way and I feel like such an idiot trying to scrape my child up off the floor (with my hands already full, usually) while trying to exit the store as quickly as possible.