Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Heavenly Father's buttons

Today, was a warm, windy, cloudy day.  Perfect for some playtime at the park and to go fly a kite.  So after running a couple of errands, we stopped at the park that will be near our house.  The boys played for a little while and then I got out Owen's kite so he could fly it.  It didn't take long to get it up in the air.  He had fun flying it and running it around.  Except he kept getting near the trees and the wind was kind of crazy which made the kite dive.  I was afraid it was going to get caught and I couldn't get it out.  So I kept telling him to go out further in the grass away from the trees, but in a few minutes he was back near the playground, pavilion and trees.   After telling him for like the fifth time to get away from the trees, I got upset with him.  (I was actually upset about something else and I ended up taking some of it out on Owen.)  Then he accidentally let go of the kite and it started flying away.  He ran as hard as he could to get it back, but wasn't catching up to it.  Luckily, it got caught on top of the restroom shed.  I was still upset at him and shouldn't have been and now it was caught.  He was sad as I tried to get the kite free and I felt bad for getting mad at him.  Then just as I was about to give up and say it was stuck, the wind picked the kite up and I was able to get it free.  At that moment I knew that this was a lesson for me and Heavenly Father helped us.  So later I told Owen that Heavenly Father sent the wind to help us get the kite free and he said, "Oh" like everything came together and he understood.  


When Jared got home, we were telling him about our day.  I asked Owen how we were able to get the kite free and he said, "Heavenly Father pushed the wind button and that's how we got our kite unhooked."

I am surprised every day, these days, the things that Owen understands and learns.  I am learning that this is prime-time teaching and that I had better step up to the plate.  It was really cute and I was impressed with his concept of how things work up there.  Who knows, heaven could have all kinds of buttons that Heavenly Father pushes to help us every day :)

No comments: